The Rotary Club of Fairhope was chartered January 27, 1938. We haven’t always done an outstanding job of recording our history, but in 1957, Dr. H. C. Jordan and Tappy Bradford, with the help of journalism students at Fairhope High School, researched and compiled a club history that you can read at the link below. The photo below was taken about the same time (ca. 1955), when the club was reportedly meeting at Dale’s Restaurant, an establishment that has not been definitely identified, but members who were in the club at the time confidently identify the location in this photo as Julwin’s Restaurant, where we met from 1963 to 1987.
The following documents provide information on the history of our club (up to a point) and of the New Members Committee. Click on the following links to download documents in Adobe PDF format (these can be read with Adobe Reader 5.0 or higher):
Club History presentation (club program January 25, 2017)
Rotary history: The website of the Rotary Global History Fellowship provides a wealth of material on the history of Rotary, including links to related sites such as one devoted to the writings of Paul Harris. An instructional YouTube video is billed as “First in a series of video presentations designed to help RGHF members get the most out of the online resources available to them.”